Do you bring home souvenirs after trips? I recently thought of something anyone can do and it doesn’t cost a thing! Plus it will flood your memory of good times and the places you went every single day!
You see, I’m not big into the t-shirts, shot glasses or trinkets. I hate clutter. But I also want to personalize our home and incorporate memories. So what’s a girl to do? Well after a recent trip to San Francisco and Charleston, I had an idea!
No matter where you go, near or far, you can always find something that sparks delight. Then, replicate this same thing or experience at home. For example…
I was bursting with happiness over all the planters outside of every Charleston home. So instead of buying a souvenir, I snapped pics of topiaries, ivy and window boxes. I plan to recreate my favorites at home! Every time we pull into our drive way, I’ll remember sinking my toes in the ocean, taking in the charm and feasting on shrimp and grits.
Of course there are other ways to do this besides plants!
Here are some examples to inspire you for your next adventure…
- Blue, wicker chairs at the table, that remind you of the charming bistro in San Francisco where you ate the best french toast you’ve ever had.
- Light white candles in clear hurricane glasses at dusk, just like your favorite Chicago restaurant.
- Buy a hotel’s signature scented candle, where you laughed so hard over cocktails. Every time you light it, you’ll be whisked away to that California trip with your BFF’s!
- Arrange a cheese platter just like they do at that oyster bar you love.
- Or stock your fridge with the local brew you sipped seaside with your husband.
The trick is to pay attention to what makes you happy and take note of the details! Clearly my vacations revolve around food and drink.
On last plant story before I let you go! Last Fall, we planted hydrangeas as an ode to Nantucket – one of our favorite family vacations. They’re just starting to bloom, so every morning, Larry (my pup!) and I checkto see how much they’ve grown. And every morning I start the day off with a wonderful memory. Which sets the tone for a great day!
Now it’s your turn to brainstorm. Have you ever done this? I’d love to hear your stories! It’s almost like a fun game you play with yourself.
Photos by Charlotte Elizabeth Photography!