Fall brings that back to school feeling. Which reminds me it’s time to take audit and go back to the basics. Especially for hair!
A lot of us (including myself) simply forget to replace old hairbrushes, expired hair products and tools. Using old tools and products damages our hair big time without even realizing it!
So if you want the best version of hair you can possibly have, use this post as a guide to audit and replenish what you need. You’ll see the results in no time.
I did this last year and wish someone would have told me to do this YEARS ago!
5 Tips To Get The Best Version of Your Hair
- Combs: Your locks are most susceptible to breakage and damage when it’s wet. If you don’t have a wide tooth comb, YOU NEED ONE. It’s so much gentler than a narrow tooth comb or even worse – a round hair brush. They’ll rip those strands to shreds. Use a wide tooth comb to remove knots and tangles as soon as you jump out of the shower.
- Brushes: The type of hair you have and the look/s you want to achieve determine the types and amount of brushes you have. If your brushes are full of hair, missing ball points and just look nasty, it’s time to introduce some new brushes to your routine. I recommend at least two:
- A paddle brush for gentle combing and initial hair drying. They’re especially great for blow drying if you have long hair.
- For voluminous blowouts – go with a round brush. Rule of thumb, the more hair you have, the bigger the barrel. And something that surprised me is the smaller the barrel the more volume you get! You can find three different sizes here, here and here.
- Hair Products: Be honest. How old’s your hairspray, mousses and other go to hair products? If it’s been awhile, chances are your no longer getting the full benefits. Beauty products expire guys! So throw them away and stock up. If you want a high quality, affordable option (this stuff can add up!), I love Cibu. They’re products smell great and they’re selection covers everything. I love a good volumizing mousse (my hair is so thin!); a dry shampoo and detangler (Cibu’s was voted best by Harper’s Bazaar!).
- Hot Tools: How’s your hair dryer looking these days? I just went on a girls trip and couldn’t believe what rough shape all my friends’ hair dryers were in. Nothing drives me more crazy than a dryer with little power due to dust collection. Gross! For a crazy good blow out at home, a new hair dryer is a simple solution! I recommend something light weight too if you travel a lot. Same for curling irons. There are some super high end expensive options but I swear by my Hot Tools 1 inch curling iron!
- Lastly, it’s important to invest in special treatments to keep your hair healthy and strong. This is something I need to get better at too. If you color your hair, REDKEN has a new pH- Bonder service and take home kit that helps protect and repair. From 10/3-10/30, Hair Cuttery is offering $10 off this add-on to any color or lightening service. You can also purchase the 3-step system to do at home after a color service! Get $10 off with the purchase of any Hair Cuttery Color Service. To learn more, check out the HC Blog here.
If you’re feeling inspired and want all these items NOW, pop by your local Hair Cuttery. They have so many fantastic high end products and tools – which surprises a lot of people! I swear it’s a secret gem that nobody thinks of. I also use their Nioxin hair products to promote hair growth – which is working AMAZING. It’s right next to our grocery store, so I usually swing in and kill two birds with one stone.
Lastly, a little wardrobe tip for this weird in-between weather! Remember this dress from the Nashville wedding I just went to? I added a leather jacket and some suede sandals to make it Fall ready! I wore this when in LA and it’s perfect for chilly nights and cooler days.
Photos taken by the lovely Lauren Michelle Studios (who is based out of Chicago!)
MORE FLORAL FROCKS
A huge thanks to Hair Cuttery for sponsoring this post!